Willow is taking part in an industry consortium responsible for launching the world’s first Intelligent Buildings Index. As the built world moves towards digitisation and modernisation there is a growing need for a framework used to assess and rank the relative intelligence of smart buildings across the world.
What is the IB Index?
The International Intelligent Buildings Organisation is leading an industry consortium to create an Intelligent Buildings Index (IB Index). This industry first technology standard uses qualitative and quantitative IB performance measures to rate a building’s relative intelligence. Utilising a state-of-the-art literature review, international stakeholder engagement and calibration against a global spectrum of “smart” buildings, the IB Index offers a technical framework and classification system upon which to support strategy development and decision making.
Why does the world need an IB Index?
- Owners and Developers will have a technical framework and benchmarks against which to support and make decisions on technological capabilities aligned to building intelligence objectives and project budgets
- Building and Facility Managers will have a roadmap to reduce operational costs and increase revenue
- Financial Institutions and Property Valuers are empowered to objectively assess value for technologically intelligent buildings
- Leasing Agents will be able to share ROI in marketing communication, enabling occupants to make informed decisions about technology enabled benefits within their workspace
- Contractors and Suppliers will better understand their role and ability to offer value when partnering, procuring and implementing technology solutions to meet their client’s objectives
- Authorities will have a technology-based rating system that can be used to focus the in creating better outcomes for the community
How will the IB Index be administered?
The International Intelligent Buildings Organisation has been created as a not-for-profit industry sponsored body to develop and administer the IB Index as well as provide education on its use, consultation on its application and ongoing research & development to ensure that the index stays abreast of latest industry and technological advances.
- Q3 2019 – The current industry partners to complete the final metrics of the IB Index
- Q4 2019 – Calibration of building results across buildings in Australia, North America and Europe, as aligned to founding members
- Q1 2020 – Global standard released
Who is involved in the IB Index Initiative today?
The IB Index initiative is chaired by Dr Michael Easson (EG Funds) with Shen Chiu (Investa) serving as Technical Advisor and Julie Jupp (UTS) as Research Lead. Companies involved in the initiative today are: